You are interviewing for your dream job, how do you prepare? Every email, phone call or interview conversation you have with the recruiter or company is important.
The basic list of topics are found below:
- Review your resume
- Review the job description
- Research the company
- Practice the STAR interviewing method
Everyone prepares for interview differently. I spend a lot of time researching the people and the company. Personally, I have found the following to be critical:
- Research the interviewers through Linkedin
- Prepare specific questions for each interviewer
- Try to determine the following through the interview:
- The leadership style of your manager.
- The work environment.
- The overall atmosphere of the company.
If possible finish all your prep for the interview in the afternoon before. This will allow you to relax the night before the interview. Day of the interview
- Leave an extra half an hour early
- Find a local coffee place where you can go if you are early
- Stay positive and focused the entire interview – turn off or completely silence your phone
- Take notes while each person is talking
- Give business cards to each person
- Follow-up within 24 hours with a thank you email to all interviewers whose contact information you have. Your notes will help to make each email individualized.
The most overlooked step is making sure to interview the employees of the company. Do not be afraid to ask the tough questions. When you are talking to other employees, try to determine the work environment. What is my ideal manager? How will I grow under the leadership?