You finally have found a mentor through a program or strategic networking. Now what?
The first thing you want to do in set goals for the relationship. The goals could be anything:1) emailing the mentor every month, 2) discussing career options or 3) even just ask a new open ended question monthly.
Once you have your goals, it is time to introduce yourself and share your goals. Communication in the mentoring relationship is critical. As the protege, it is your job to email your mentor. It is better to communicate with your mentor in the beginning of the relationship. If you are only going to email them when a problem arises, tell them that!
We have compiled a list of suggested questions to keep the conversation going.
- How did you land your current role?
- If you could do it all again, what would you do differently?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had a difficult boss? How did you handle it?
- How did you learn to embrace failure?
- What’s the most important leadership lesson you’ve learned and how is it valuable
- What has been your most rewarding accomplishment?