Welcome to a new fiscal year of SWE! Last year brought about many changes to the Society and the SWE Grad Community. I am confident that this year will bring about even more.
As we begin a new year for the SWE Grad Community, I’d like to introduce the rest of the Grad Community Leadership team. Our team for FY17 is:
- Graduate Member Coordinator (GMC): Liz Dreyer – University of Michigan
- GMC-Elect: Genevieve Kane – Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Graduate Programming Coordinator (GPC): Rachel Unruh – Texas A&M
- GPC-Elect: Emily Hoffman – Northwestern University
- Social Media Coordinator (SMC): Allie Anderson – Colorado School of Mines
- Webinar Coordinator (WC): Celine Liong – Stanford University
You can read a short bio about each person here: https://swegrad.wordpress.com/grad-leadership/.
Goals for FY17
This year, I have many goals for our community. I’d also love to hear from all of you on what you’d like to see the grad community do as well. Feel free to email me at email@example.com (or comment below or on any of our social media) with any and all ideas on how the grad community can better serve your needs.
Some of the plans include:
- Continued use of social media to reach out and connect SWE grad student members.
- Increase awareness of graduate student members within Professional sections or with Professional grade memberships. Did you know? Approximately half of SWE grad members are within Professional sections.
- Improve resources and knowledge sharing for grad students and SWE grad groups.
How to get involved
This upcoming year is full of ways to increase your involvement with the SWE Grad Community. Below are a few examples.
- Become a Region Grad Rep. Some Regions still need RGRs for FY17. Contact your RGR to see if the position will is available.
- Participate in your local SWE Grad Group or start one within your SWE section. Current SWE Grad Groups are listed here.
- Attend We16 in Philadelphia, PA: http://we16.swe.org/. Members of the SWE Grad Community will be attending and active again this year!
- Write a guest blog post for the SWE blog. Contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask the SWE Grad Community a question and start up a conversation about important issues. Submit them here.
- Engage with us on social media:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SWEGrad
Again, I look forward to serving you this year and seeing the SWE Grad Community continue to grow.