Hello Grad Community!
Summer has arrived! Congratulations to all those who have graduated and moved on to greener pastures! Good luck to those continuing to pursue their degrees. The Grad Community Leadership Team hopes that you find the resources we offer to be of use. If you ever have any comments or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to forward this to other graduate students, or those who are supportive of women getting advanced STEM degrees!
In this newsletter:
- WE16 Poster Competition abstracts due June 15th!
- Academic Leadership for Women in Engineering (ALWE)
- Grad Community Spotlights
- Book your WE16 room now!
- Follow us on Social Media!
(1) WE16 Poster Competition abstracts due June 15th
Abstracts for the WE16 Collegiate Technical Poster Competition are due one week from now on June 15th! The Poster Competition is a great way to practice talking about your research to a wide variety of backgrounds.
Find out more at
(2) Academic Leadership for Women in Engineering (ALWE)
The overarching purpose of ALWE is to give female academics in engineering departments an introduction to the tangible skills and knowledge needed to pursue and gainfully acquire institutional leadership positions at a university.
Participants in the program will experience two-full days and six interactive sessions that will provide best practices to advance in academia while creating opportunities and mechanisms to network across institutions. To that end, the objectives of ALWE are as follows:
- Recognize the various roles associated with holding leadership positions within academia.
- Learn strategies and tools to advance in leadership roles within academia.
- Learn negotiation skills to use in pursuing institutional leadership positions.
- Expand an existing network of women in academia.
- Support a community of practice focused on similar goals and faced with similar challenges.
- Dates: October 28 – 29, 2016
- Time: 8:30 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Location: WE16 – Philadelphia, PA
Check out the tentative agenda, get more information, and apply for the program at http://we16.swe.org/events/alwe/
(3) Grad Community Spotlights
Did you see the most recent Spotlight?
Malika Grayson (30 May 2016):
Maria Choi (13 June 2016):
(4) Book your WE16 room now!
Now is the time to start thinking about your plans for WE16. You can book your hotel, sign up to be notified when conference registration is live, and more at http://we16.swe.org/.
Sign up to volunteer for WE16! It’s a great way to give back to the conference that gives so much, and you get a discounted registration rate! More at http://we16.swe.org/.
(5) Follow us on social media!
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SWEGrad
As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com!