Hello Grad Community!
In this newsletter:
- Upcoming Webinars
- Leadership Coaching Committee looking for members
- Join a SWE Committee!
- Grad Community Spotlights
- Follow us on Social Media!
(1) Upcoming Webinars
What does it Take, Really?
Thursday, April 21st, 2016 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm (EDT)
About the Webinar:
Join Christy and Kathy as they share their unique brands of strategic leadership to inspire and equip you to reach that next level. Despite their very different paths to becoming directors at Northrop Grumman they share common lessons learned about what it takes to become a successful leader as a woman in the engineering domain. They will discuss the importance of WHAT you know, WHO you know, and HOW to present yourself. By the end of the session, participants will know what it takes to be poised for leadership opportunities in large complex organizations.
Presenters: Christy Predaina, Kathy McLernon
The Impact of Mental Models in Higher Education
Monday, April 25th, 2016 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm (EDT)
About the Webinar:
This engaging webinar will provide an overview of a cognitive process known to impede the advancement of women and minorities in higher education and beyond. Empirical research will be explored and strategies for remediation will be discussed.
Presenter: Christine Kaunas
(2) Leadership Coaching Community looking for members
The Leadership Coaching Committee provides proactive leadership coaching to SWE
organizational units, including sections, regions, and MALs. Trained Leadership Coaches
provide Society leadership with the coaching and support essential to maintaining healthy, vital,
and growing section, region, and MAL organizations. Training modules on various aspects of
SWE operations, and/or necessary leadership and management skills for SWE success, are
delivered to sections via local venues, delivered to sections and regions through the Region
Conferences, and are delivered to all members of SWE at the Society Annual Conference.
Leadership Coaches have prior SWE leadership experience which is essential in having the
perspective needed to tackle section and region roadblocks and hurdles. Leadership Coaches can have either a professional or collegiate section focus.
There is especially a need for coaches in Regions F and G, as well as professional focused coaches in Region H.
If you are interested in being part of the Leadership Coaching Committee please contact your region lead LCC_Region_X@swe.org or the FY16 LCC Chair Faith Chu at firstname.lastname@example.org
(3) Join a SWE Committee
Graduate students are a valuable resource on many of the SWE Committees! Find a committee that matches your interests and availability in FY17. There are a wide range of opportunities and levels of commitment. Changes for FY17:
- The government relations and public policy committee is changing from a committee and chair to a coordinator role based on the functions of this group.
- A great amount of progress has been made by the Governance subgroups in FY16. A smaller task force is being formed to further develop and work the remaining actions into FY17. Ideal candidates will have participated in one of the FY16 subgroups, and have a good grasp of the work yet to be done and the direction the Society is heading.
- With region conferences transforming into WELocal conferences, the conference advisory board has created a subgroup to focus on these smaller conferences. Its charter will be updated to reflect this addition. The inaugural group was created from members of the region conference task force and key constituencies.
If you would like to continue serving on a committee, please confirm with your current leader. For any new roles, please complete the simple online volunteer interest form by May 1, 2016. Questions about a committee? Find contact information for current chairs on the committees page.
(4) Grad Community Spotlights
Did you see the most recent Spotlights?
Stephanie Moffitt (4 April 2016):
Hannah Chang (18 April 2016):
Do you know someone (or yourself) or a Grad Group who deserves recognition? Submit their name here: http://goo.gl/51Oh1H
(5) Follow us on social media!
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SWEGrad
As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com!