Hello Grad Community!
In this newsletter:
- Apply for FY17 Graduate Coordinator positions!
- Upcoming webinar: Graduate Student Involvement in SWE Sections
- Upcoming Google Hangout: Learn about the Grad Coordinator positions!
- Upcoming Region D Conference
- Grad Community Spotlights
- Blog Basics: Grad Leadership Team
(1) Get more involved with SWE as a graduate student! Apply for FY17 Graduate Coordinator positions!
The Graduate Leadership Team (consisting of the Graduate Member Coordinator, the Graduate Programming Coordinator, and their coordinator-elects) is looking for new coordinators for FY17, starting in July 2016! This is a great opportunity for grad students to get involved in the SWE Grad Community. The three positions are:
– Graduate Member Coordinator-Elect (GMC-Elect): Supports the Graduate Member Coordinator in working to foster a strong community and network for graduate students in SWE by facilitating communication between graduate students in SWE and SWE graduate student groups, and by representing the interests of graduate students to the Society. The GMC-Elect assists the GMC, in preparation for assuming the GMC role the following year.
– Social Media Coordinator (SMC): Ensures that all the Graduate Community social media and online outlets have current and regular content in order to allow graduate students to stay up to date on relevant information.
– Webinars Coordinator (WC): Assist in coordinating the webinars hosted by the Graduate SWE community, by selecting topics, inviting speakers, and coordinating logistics with SWE headquarters to ensure webinars are advertised and routinely presented.
The applications are due by April 01 2016 11:59 pm CDT (Midnight).
GMC-E, SMC and WC application: http://goo.gl/forms/DfmUAJrw7T
SWE HQ application (for GMC-E specifically): https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/30036-Society-Of-Women-Engineers
Note that the GMC-Elect position requires the SWE HQ Committee Chair application. The SMC and WC application includes an area where you indicate whether or not you submitted the GMC-Elect application and allows you to rank your preferences. Both applications require similar information and responses, but please make sure to follow the directions!
Applicants will be notified within the week after the deadline if there any additional questions and to schedule a phone interview. If you have any questions, please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(2) Upcoming webinar:
Graduate Student Involvement in SWE Sections
About the Webinar:
Do you want to make the most out of your SWE membership? Get involved with your local SWE section. This webinar will discuss many different aspects of graduate student involvement in SWE sections. Topics include development and growth of graduate groups within SWE sections, how to attract and best utilize graduate students’ skills, and how to connect to the greater SWE community. We will also cover the basic logistical information of being a graduate student in SWE. Lastly, there will be time for questions and sharing of best practices.
Read more and register from our blog: https://swegrad.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/upcoming-webinar-graduate-student-involvement-in-swe-sections/
(3) Upcoming Google Hangout: Learn about the Grad Coordinator positions
(4) Upcoming Region D Conference
The final region conference of the season is only a few weeks away!! If you’re in Region D, make sure to check out the Region D conference website to see what’s in store for you!
31 Mar – 2 April : Region D — http://www.sweregiond.org/conference
(5) Grad Community Spotlights
Did you see the most recent Spotlights?
Kelly Connelly (22 Feb 2016):
UCLA Grad SWE (7 Mar 2016):
Do you know someone (or yourself) or a Grad Group who deserves recognition? Submit their name here: http://goo.gl/51Oh1H
(6) Blog Basics: Grad Leadership page
Are you considering applying for one of the Grad Leadership Coordinator positions? YOU SHOULD! But also, check out the descriptions of the Coordinator roles and bios of our current Coordinators on the Grad Community blog: https://swegrad.wordpress.com/grad-leadership/
As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com!