Following up on Marcella’s post about giving great presentations, I wanted to make sure you knew about SWE’s Collegiate Technical Poster Competition. This is a competition held annually at the annual conferences — this year’s WE12 Annual Conference will be held in Houston, Texas from November 8-10, 2012. The competition emphasizes the ability to deliver outstanding visual presentations, and should be related to original research/work with an application in engineering, for example, your thesis or dissertation work!
Here are some reasons why you should participate:
- Improve your skills and gain experience in delivering visual presentations of highly technical research.
- 10 graduate student finalists will receive a $250 travel stipend to the conference, free registration, and a ticket to the Celebrate SWE! Banquet.
- Cash prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place out of the 10 finalists in the graduate category: $500, $250, and $100, respectively.
- All you have to do is submit a 500 word abstract by June 15!
- Presenting your research at the SWE Conference can help convince your adviser to let you go to conference, and maybe even help you secure extra funding to attend from your school or department. Then you’ll be able to take advantage of all the great graduate student-specific professional development sessions, coordinated for you by our Graduate Programming Coordinators!
Have I convinced you, yet? Check out the full competition criteria and guidelines by downloading the packet at the following link:
I can’t wait to meet you and see your great posters in Houston!
FY12-13 Graduate Student Task Force Chair
FY12 Graduate Member Coordinator